Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I guess because I'm a geek and do stuff like that

I'm starting to get pretty stoked about the trip to the Appalachian trail that I am planning for this summer. I've started to immerse myself in all things hiking. After class yesterday, N and I dropped by the local outfitter downtown and had a good twenty minute or so about boots, food, supplies, and clothing.

I have a lot of the basic gear that we will be needing, but there is still a bit that I need to acquire. My birthday is coming up soon and I was going to ask my Mom for this phone, but I think I might just ask for some camping gear instead.

I've already started thinking about training and the type of physical shape that I will need to be in. Last night, I had a brisk walk of three miles and did forty push-ups and one hundred sit-ups. I feel pretty confident that I can handle ten miles a day with a forty-five pound pack. N on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. I think she is into the trip though and willing to put forth a real effort to get in shape as well as work hard.

I pulled out my rucksack as well as a lot of my gear today. I loaded my pack down and walked around the apartment for a while with it. The last time I really used it was several summers ago in Europe. I remember that the first few days of my backpacking trip were pretty much hell on my back, but after I got used to carrying the pack, it was no problem.

I think, just to prove to myself how big a dork I am, I'm going to sleep in my sleeping bag. Why you might ask? I don't know, I guess because I'm a geek and do stuff like that. So, I'm off to bed, after a little Halo, to sleep in my sleeping back on top of my comforter and sheets.

Later, I'll post links to all the places I've gathered good information about the AT. You know, because I know you're interested in that kind of stuff.

Mood: Tired yet uplifted
Music: Dave Matthews Band - Everyday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home