Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A show of solidarity

N is Greek and her family are members of the Greek Orthodox Church. N and I individually aren't particularly religious, but her Mom is. Her Mom is a Sunday School teacher and a fairly devout member of the church. For instance, whenever we travel, N usually calls her to let her know that we are getting on the road. Her Mom will reply to her, "Don't forget to say a prayer before you get on the interstate." The Greek Orthodox calendar is measured differently that the regular Christian calendar, so their lent didn't start until this week.

One of the lent activities that they partake in is fasting. N's Mom fasts and encourages N to also. N does just to keep her Mom happy and to please her, not for any particular spiritual enhancement. This will be my third lent spent with N, and for the past three years I have joined her in her fasting as a show of solidarity.

The first year that we fasted together, we tried, but didn't really do it. We cheated quite a bit. Last year though, I was determined to do better, just to prove to myself that I could do it. As an added bonus, I decided that I would not only give up meat (excluding seafood, for some reason it doesn't count) but I would also give up alcohol (particularly beer) and soft drinks.

We actually did a really good job last year. We didn't cheat once. We got through the entire forty days laying off it all.

This year, I have decided to do it again. So Sunday was the last day that I ate meat, had a soft drink, and my last opportunity to have a beer for forty days. I also decided to give up candy this time too. Mostly because I have been on one hell of a candy binge lately and I figured it might be good for me to lay off of it for a while. I also tend to have very little self control when lots of candy is around, unless I have a goal like this to lay off of it.

So, in the end, I'm fasting for forty days and forty nights, laying off a lot of food that I love not for any really religious reasons, but more just to prove to myself that I can do it. To prove to myself that I have the self control and wherewithal (is that a word?) to do it.

I'll let you know how it goes this time

Mood: My arms are week from too many pushups.
Music: Colossal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home