Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Mock blaster shootouts and other adventures.

I've been thinking for a few days about the best way to approach this topic. I'm not actually sure that I have decided on the most efficent and entertaining way but, I'm throwing caution to the wind, so here goes.

The first memory of the Star Wars universe that I have is having watched A New Hope at a very young age one summer morning. I don't think we owned the movie on VHS, so we must have borrowed it from one of my neighbors. I remember being completely enthralled with the movie and subsequently going over to a friends house to have mock blaster shootouts and other adventures.

In junior high Lucas released the digitally remastered and altered (read: Han shoots first) trilogy. This was a big deal for me and my fellow nerd comrades. All of us loved the movies, but had never seen them in the theatres like our parents or even in some cases, our older brothers. It was awesome to hit the theaters and get the real Star Wars experience. Then of course, we all went out and bought the Trilogy VHS tapes as they were released.

After we moved out west and I was in high school, word came that production had started on teh prequals. The guy who sat next to me in chemistry Junior year was also a fellow nerd, and we counted down the days until The Phantom Menace was released in theatres. That was six years ago today, and I can still remember how excited I was to go see a Star Wars movie for the first time in a theatre. I wasn't lucky enough to attend a midnight showing, but one of my friends was, he came to school the next morning raving about how good the movie was and actually spoiled it for me by telling me what happend. Bastard.

I remember actually liking The Phantom Menace when I first saw it, but I think that was just because it was a new Star Wars movie and not because I actually watched it with a critical eye.

Next came Attack of the Clones which stirred similar outbursts of geekery from me.

This weekend, I will attend my last ever screening of a new Star Wars movie (unless Lucas changes his mind). Just as I did for Episodes I and II, I have high hopes for the movie. Reviews so far have been good, so hopefully the movie will live up to expectations.

Today, I dusted off my VHS copy of The Phantom Menace and popped it into the VCR, since I don't own Attack of the Clones, tomorrow a trip to Blockbuster will be required to go rent it, bring it home and watch it.

Then, with the preceeding plot lines fresh in my mind, I will head off to the theatres sometime this weekend to see Episode III. It will truly be the end of an era. I'm not sure how I feel about it, almost apathetic I think, which I'm disappointed about. I think it's that I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment as happened with I and II.

I'm setting the bar low, hopefully Lucas will head out on a high note and clear it with ease.

Mood: Tired
Music: Pedro the Lion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home