Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Day II

Here we go. Day II of my my old fashioned paper journal writing about my hike.

June 24, 2005

This morning started with a bang. Dad and I got up, made breakfast and headed out. We got to Carver's Gap on the NC/TN state line about 8:15. We quickly scouted the area and began to load me up. I got all my gear on and we took a few pictures.

There were two really sketchy guys in the parking lot and I was very glad when they seemed to go the other way.

Dad walked the first several hundred feet with me to see me off. We parted ways and I started up the trail. Not too far up the trail, I came across the sketchy guys again. They were smoking. Angus was spooked by them so I had to hold him as we walked past. They chatted me up, telling me about their dogs but I just wanted to leave. Finally I was able to. Not wanting to ever have to see them again, I kept a brisk pace the first couple of miles. The hiking went pretty smoothly in the morning and I took a couple of short breaks. By the afternoon, I was starting to wear down, my pack became heavy and my breaks more frequent. At one point, I was so tuckered, I decided I needed a powernap. Angus and I laid down for a few minutes and dozed off. We were awaken by another hiker and his dog, but it was good, I needed to move on.

This afternoon just after five, I pulled into my stop. Cherry Gap shelter. Fifteen miles of what should have been 'easy hiking'. I thought I was in shape. Apparently not. I am absolutely beat. I hurt all over and my legs are getting crampy. I'll be bery sore tomorrow which isn't good. My goal tomorrow is the Nolichucky River. I'm considering calling it quites there because it sets up one hell of a hike for Sunday. I don't know if I can do it. I don't know if I can make it. But, I guess tomorrow is another day. We'll see how I feel when the sun rises.
---

It is several hours later. Angus is crashed. He ate well and is drinking well. I checked his feet and where his harness was. He seems to be doing ok sans being exhausted.

I drank a bunch of water. I feel a bit better. I didn't feel like cooking or eating. Any other night, I would have skipped dinner but I know I need energy so I forced myself to eat a powerbar. I got to feeling better after the snack and a quick nap so I cooked beef lo mein noodles. I wasn't really that hungry, but they were good.

The lady staying in the shelter with me is nice, from LA. She started at Nolichucky today, where I am aiming for tomorrow. Apparently there is a hostel/campground there. I will try to stay there. That makes me glad Dad gave me some cash. It is getting dark and the bugs are coming out. I hope to sleep well tonight, I'm that tired.


Check back for Day III tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger schmims said...

e's backpacking tip no. 32 - carry something to eat in your pocket like dried fruit, nuts, piece of candy and eat a handful every thirty minutes or so. And drink when you do. You have no idea the difference it makes!

5:13 AM  
Blogger schmims said...

Have you read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. Funny stuff.

I can't believe I'm going to have to wait until I GET BACK from my vacation to find out what cut your trip short.

8:30 AM  
Blogger J said...

What time are you leaving, I might try to get the entry up, just for you.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home