Tuesday, August 09, 2005

'Hey, we are going to run a marathon'

I've been running now for a few months and I've been doing pretty well. I won my age group at a 5K back in June and then I won my age group in the Summer 5K series that I participated in. My brother has been running about a month longer than me but hasn't started competing because he has been in rural New York for the summer.

Back in June, we decided that we wanted to try and run a marathon together. Well, I decided I wanted to try one and solicited him to run it with me. We decided to keep our decision tight to our chests for a few months to make sure it was something that we really wanted to do. I don't think there would be much worse than announcing 'Hey, we are going to run a marathon' and then chicken out and look foolish.

We picked the Kiawah Island Marathon on December 10 for a variety of reasons. It's close to my grandparents, so we will have a place to stay. It is also in cool December and a flat/fast course which will be important for us to reach our goals.

There is a lot of information out there about how to train for a marathon and I've read a good bit of it. I've also consulted with runners from my local running club for tips. Brother and I have decided to do this training schedule. I think it will prepare us well and set us up for a good race if we are diligent about running every day and doing at least the reccomended mileage.

Training officially started yesterday, leaving us just over four months of hard work to get to the starting line in December.

I'm not nesicarily looking forward to all the work I'm going to have to put into this, but I am excited about the possibility of running a good race and performing well. We need a 3:10:00 to qualify for the 2006 Boston Marathon. I think it's dooable with a lot of hard work put in now. That's why all the hard work started yesterday.

I'll be writing a lot more in the next few months about this topic but for now, that's about all I've got. Anybody out there ever run one? Have any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home