Sunday, August 28, 2005

I'm just a sucker for punishment.

I guess I'm just a sucker for punishment. When time to meet my friends to head over to the race, I packed my bag and headed out. Getting there, I could tell my legs were tired and weary from the mornings punishment. Signing in, I got my number and a microchip that would be used to be timing the 1800+ runners. Tying it into my laces, we headed to the start and got herded onto the two lane starting street with the other runners. We tried our best to stay near the front to avoid the mess that was sure to ensue once the start sounded.

We managed to stay near the front and as the cannon roared starting the mass of bodies hurtling up the hill. Although we were near the front, there was still a lot of traffic to get through in order to get to the open road ahead. I actually plowed through two fat girls like a running back hitting the hole because I had nowhere else to go. After clearing most of the traffic I rejoined my friends and we settled into a decent pace.

My legs were feeling ok and the race was progressing well. We moved up, passing those who started running out of steam, making our way towards the lead pack. About a mile and a half in, I realized something felt funny with my right shoe. I looked down to find it untied and my timing chip gone. Realizing the futility of going back and trying to find the damn black piece of plastic on a pitch dark residential street, I quickly tied my shoe and set back off.

I lost probably fifteen seconds due to the mishap. The rest of the race went ok. I didn't really push it, knowing my time wouldn't be official anyway. Coming down the final hill, I just enjoyed the sight of hundreds of spectators watching me come in. I even high fived some of the cops who were in the middle of the road running security.

I came in (unofficially) at 19:23. Figuring I lost fifteen seconds tying my shoe, and taking into account the fourteen miles I already had on my odometer for the day and the fact that the racecourse was 20 to 30 seconds slower than the one a few weeks ago, I think the performance wasn't too bad.

It was a fun race. The atmosphere was great and it benefited a good cause. My lesson is learned though. Next time, you better bet that damn microchip will be securely fastened to my shoe.

Mood: Tired
Music: VMAs on MTV.

1 Comments:

Blogger schmims said...

That's why I double knot that sucker!

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home