Tuesday, September 27, 2005

When it rains, it pours.


Yesterday morning I got up ready to take on the world. The College of Business career fair was in the morning, then I had a Marketing Strategy test at 1, followed by the University career fair with over 140 companies represented.

I got up and immediately knew something was amiss. It had been over three and a half weeks since our last measurable rainfall. Sure enough, the morning I need to look my best and wear my suit around campus, it's pouring. I got on the computer to check out the radar and sure enough, it looked as though it was going to rain all damn day.

I got dressed up and feeling confident in my people skills and personal presentation, I headed out the door. I took the truck to campus and illegally parked on a yellow curb, hoping I wouldn't get a ticket. I went to the student copy center so that I could have copies of my resume and cover letter printed off. After some trouble printing the files from my thumb drive, the guy behind the counter finally figured it out. When he came back from the back with my printouts, they were on plain white paper. Yeah, that's right, plain white paper.

I was dressed to the nines and asked to have resumes printed, granted I didn't specifically say I wanted it on resume paper, but I figured that was a given, apparently not. I finally got him to print my stuff on the paper I wanted and was off. I talked to a few prospective companies in the morning and was particularly impressed with one. They have sales rep positions open and they seem like a good company to work for. The thing that I liked about them was the fact that you don't have to do any cold calling, the areas you get put into already have pre-established relationships with the retailers.

I went into my test pretty concerned. I didn't really study too hard and after all, this is the Marketing capstone class. If I don't pass, I don't graduate. We only had to do three of the four questions and after I had eliminated one, it was all downhill. I started out on a roll and finished strong. Basically, I brought that test to it's knees.

The University career fair was less successful than the College of Business one, just as I suspected it would be.

I did land two interviews, even if they are just preliminary screening ones that don't mean all that much. Today, I'm off to the Logistics career fair and to do my two interviews. Hopefully they will go well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home