Monday, October 31, 2005

Running on ten spikes

Soccer went well on Thursday night. Team Great Wall wasn't nearly as fearsome as their name might suggest. We jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead and never really looked back. I still didn't play as well as I know I can. When I mess up, I feel like everyone's eyes are on me and they are all talking about how much I suck. N made it out to the game and said I played well. It's nice to have her come out and support me. I appreicate it.


As I've mentioned before, I haven't played since high school so my boots have just been sitting around in storage for the last five years eagerly awaiting the day they'd be brought out of retirement for one more chance at glory. Last year, Brother called and asked if he could borrow them for his intramurals, I agreed and mailed them off to Clemson.

I got them back this fall and they were in even worse shape than I sent them off in. I was expecting it, but these boots are truly on their last legs. I've lost one spike and other broke off leaving the hole filled with the threaded stud. I'm already at a disadvantage running on ten spikes instead of the customary twelve.

Last week, after I put them on, Roommate and I started to warm up. I felt a sudden piercing sensation just behind my right big toe. I couldn't run. This wasn't the odd rock in my shoe, it was as if I was running on needles.

Taking off my boot, I could see the problem immediately. Not knowing what to do and not having the materials to properly pad my foot, I found some athletic tape and taped the hell of of my toes.This seemed to work for a little while, but eventually, the sharp metal worked it's way through the tape.At this point, I don't really know what a solution is other than a new footbed insert. I can't afford new boots and there is no real reason to go buy any since I'll only be playing another month anyway. It's not even like I'm a penny pinching tight ass who won't spring for new ones. I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it, jerry rigging a solution every week. To anyone out there in reader land who might not be a poor college student, when you get your new boots in the mail and begin to enjoy the soft new leather, remember those who are less fortunate.

Mood: Good
Music: Flogging Molly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home