Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Selling out to the (wo)man.

Yesterday was a great day. It started out by going to do my volunteering which was fun. We have a few new Bald Eagles and it's always cool to work with them. The one I got a chance to see seemed like a good candidate for release, so hopefully we can get him healthy and get him back out to the wild.

I went to my interview and things went great. I was able to establish a repore with the guy and we got on well. I scored really well on the Wonderlic test he had given the night before and I pretty much nailed the questions he asked me. He also made us take a personality profile test called the Predictive Index. That one is a bunch of corporate hooey if you ask me, but I took it anyway.

If I make it to the next round of interviews, I'll get brought up to the corporate headquarters in New Jersey. The second interview would be with he and his boss. I'm really hoping to get to the second round. Worldwide, they get 55,000 applications for 400 spots. Domestically, they get 2000 for 20. I'd love to get this job lots of traveling internationally, several trips to Copenhagen and eventually a 2 year international assignment.

He told me that generally they are a pretty laid back company, all the offices are business casual except New Jersey, Copenhagen, and San Paolo. He told me that if I am invited to come up, I'll need to shave my beard. Apparently his boss, a woman does not like facial hair. I have had my beard for two years now and it's a part of who I am. I have always thought of it as nice, I keep it trimmed close and it is actually a beard, I dont' have the gaps and hairless spaces most 23 year old guys have. In short, I love my beard and I'm damn proud of it. I don't know if I really would want to shave it but given a shot at this job I probably will. It just feels like I'm selling out to the (wo)man.

I guess it's easier to fight the system from within though, right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Snowman said...

Facial hair were to start on that one... The comment about is like asking a woman not to wear make-up because we like them that way... Maybe not 100 % the same thing but well I had to shave mine off. Welcome to the cclub then.
Hope you get the job. Copenhagen is Awesome!!! You still have the neighbourhood with all the hippies. Just totaly weired but in a cool way. Check this out when you got the time.

http://www.christiania.org/main/lan.php?lan=gb

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home