Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The stars have to line up.

I got home and had to write a paper in place of taking a final. The paper was due by three p.m. Sunday. I started approximatly eleven thrity. It wasn't too bad since I had already discussed it with my friends and had a good idea of what I wanted to write, it was just a matter of putting it all down in coherent form.

I got it turned in on time and I felt pretty good about my analysis of the case. I knew that I would put myself in position to make and A in the class depending on how strictly my professor graded the papers. I checked my grades last night and sure enough. A for me! A's have been fairly few and far between in my college career and it was particularly satisfying to finish off my Marketing degree with an A in the capstone class.

With my decision to take the job at the large ocean shipper, it left me in a bit of a bind. Since the job doesn't start until July, I have seven months to kill. Ideally, I'd love to stay here in this college town and get a job paying just enough to get by and still be allowed to live the college life. Maybe I can even save up a bit and do some traveling before my 'real' job starts.

In order to stay here in town several things have to happen -- the stars have to line up. 1) I need to decide if that is what I'm going to do fast for roommate and lease reasons. 2) In order to commit to a new lease, I need a job, fast. 3) Being kicked off my parents welfare train effective January 1. I need a quick infusion of cash to keep me afloat (see reasons 1, 2). It's really a vicious circle I'm dealing with here.

The likelyhood of these factors all coalescing into something meaningful in the next week were remote on Sunday. If these things didn't come together, the only reasonable thing to do at this point would be to move to Charlotte and hang out with my parents for the next six months. That I'm not so averse to, seeing as it would only be temporary, but it's not the ideal option.

Sunday after writing and turning in my paper, I headed out in search of a job. The Frog works at Walmart and told me he'd put in a good word for me if I wanted to apply out there. I was kind of turned off when he told me what I could expect to make and that I'd probably be hired onto third shift.

I headed off to a different big box retailer instead. I put in my application and was informed that I would be granted an interview. They weren't doing interviews on Sunday so I was asked to come back bright and early Monday morning. That's just what I did. I did an interview and was asked if I could stay and do another. I did. It went well, it should have, I've had plenty of practice at this point.

I was passed off for a third interview. Then a forth. I was all set to do a fifth (and I'm assuming last), with the store manager but she was tied up. I scheduled the fifth interview for Wednesday morning.

At this point, I feel like I'm in good shape to be offered a management position in the electronics department. That's fine with me. It's not ideally what I want to be doing with my life but the job seems to be right on target. The pay scales that I've looked up online seem to be on target with what I need to live comfortably for the next six months.

By this time tomorrow, I will be done with my final college exam. I feel sad about leaving college, but at this point, things are falling into place for post college life to be damn fine. Hopefully, I'll also have a job offer that will tide me over and allow me to stay here in Auburn an life the college life for another six months.

Laying in bed last night as I contemplated everything, I've started to sketch out my spring racing schedule, I'm ready to be recovered from Saturday and ready to hit the pavement again. It's my addiction.

3 Comments:

Blogger schmims said...

Did you get a job at Target? I love that place!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Marit said...

I love Target too! Wee!

10:41 AM  
Blogger J said...

I don't know where you ladies are getting all of this Target business. I am pretty sure I didn't mention the name of the big box retailer I was talking with.

I'd hate to get dooced.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home