Thursday, February 16, 2006

Five days of hard labor trail maintaining.

This morning I applied to be on the Brush Busters Trail Crew that will maintain some of the most remote portions of the Appalachian Trail in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. The section that I applied for runs from July 3 to July 8. From what I understand, you meet up with a group and head out onto the trail for five days of hard labor trail maintaining.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy provides all of the gear you need, pretty much you just have to show up and be ready and willing to work. That I am.

As my plans stand right now. I have to be out of my apartment on June 30. I plan to leave my job with the big box retailer a few days before. Ideally, the shipping company I'm going to work for will pick my stuff up on June 30 and put it into storage until I start with them. I don't have to report to New Jersey until July 17th, so I have almost two weeks to play and have some time off before my wear a suit - shave my beard - working for the man job starts. Some of that time I plan to spend on the trail. Hopefully with this trail maintaining group. If not with them, I may be attempting another solo section hike.

2 Comments:

Blogger schmims said...

I have a friend who is working on building the Cumberland Trail. He needs some volunteers. Let me know if you're interested and I'll set you up with him.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Diane Thornton said...

I'm a seasoned trail builder and maintainer. Have worked on the Ozark Trail in MO, cumberland in TN and AT in TN. The brush buster crew is a maintenance crew, the Cumberland is building. I have been accepted for all the sessions of Brush Busters, but am going to have to pass on a few due to work conflicts. Many (most) work crews take summer off because the heat is too risky. The Smokies can continue because of elevation gains.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home