Thursday, May 25, 2006

For the first time in months.

It felt like I spent the majority of my weekend on the interstate but it was well worth it. After work Friday brother graciously drove down to drop off a bunch of my stuff that had been sent home in the fall. It was already unloaded from the van when I got home. We made sandwiches and were off to the moutain house. It was a long hot ride without airconditioning and the Beagle was annoying and bouncing around most of the time.

We arrived at the mountain house just after eleven better time than I'd anticipated that we'd make. Saturday we pretty much a lazy day, Mom, brother, sister and I rode into town to pick up my race packet and hit the mall for a bit but after that, we just hung out enjoying the company of having the whole family at home for the first time in months.

We watched the Preakness and Barbaro's fall then got wrapped up in a Deadliest Catch marathon before heading to bed.

I was up at four thirty to be at the race by six thirty. I didn't really know what to expect because the website was very vague and didn't even include a course map. The only thing I knew was that the course was a loop style course and it included 'two challenging hills'. The first hill was fairly steep at the end after running from mile one to one and a half. Nothing too bad though. The second hill ran from just after mile three until well into mile four. I put it at about a mile and a half long. It wasn't as steep as the first, just a long gradual climb up towards the mansion.

I didn't run as fast as I wanted to. I was hoping to break an hour. I now realize that that was probably a bit of an ambitious goal. I came in at 1:02:03. I was fourteenth out of four hundred and ten and finished second in my age group. I was pleased. I felt pretty strong and ran the last few miles in just better than six minutes and ten seconds each. I know I can break an hour on a flat course. It'll happen.

We went back home on Sunday afternoon and Dad drove me home on Monday. It sure was nice of both he and brother to drive twelve hours to pick me up and drop me off. It was a long weekend with sixteen plus hours spent on the road for each of us but it was well worth it.

Now, it's back to the grind. As repayment for having the long weekend off, I'm staring down the barrel of a nine day in a row stretch. I'll get through it though. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, the end is getting near.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home